Simply days after asserting a hiring freeze, Penn State created a brand new workplace and employed a brand new vice chairman. Right here’s what the college has to say about that call. Picture by Kyra Cunningham
This story was produced by the State School regional bureau of Highlight PA, an impartial, nonpartisan newsroom devoted to investigative and public-service journalism for Pennsylvania. Join our regional e-newsletter, Speak of the City.
The Penn State Transparency Tracker is an ongoing effort by Highlight PA to doc and share the methods wherein the college is, and isn’t, being clear with the group. Attributable to its particular “state-related” designation, Penn State shouldn’t be topic to open data legal guidelines past the general public disclosure of primary monetary data.
On the finish of July, Penn State introduced a “strategic hiring freeze” that might final till at the least the summer time of 2023. An inside memo despatched by President Neeli Bendapudi dated July 28, and obtained by Highlight PA, acknowledged open positions may solely be posted if they’re reviewed and deemed crucial by a division head.
“Important positions might embody these which are needed for security, scholar success, compliance, or present a monetary return on funding,” Bendapudi wrote within the memo.
On Aug. 8, Penn State introduced the hiring of Matt Melvin for the newly created place of vice chairman for enrollment administration. Melvin beforehand labored on the College of Kansas because the vice provost for enrollment administration.
In response to the information, Highlight PA requested Penn State the next questions on Aug. 17:
- At a time when the college is underneath a “strategic hiring freeze,” there could also be some concern about including a brand new top-level place that studies on to the president. Mr. Melvin beforehand made almost $205,000 a 12 months on the College of Kansas. Will Mr. Melvin be making an analogous wage at Penn State? Will his wage be among the many prime 25 highest salaries Penn State publicly studies every year?
- President Bendapudi’s inside memo from July 28 asserting the “strategic hiring freeze” mentions that crucial positions that may be employed for in the course of the freeze embody “these which are needed for security, scholar success, compliance, or present a monetary return on funding.” What class does Mr. Melvin’s new place fall underneath to deem it crucial?
- The Penn State announcement mentions that Melvin will lead the “newly established Enrollment Administration Workplace.” Does the college plan to rent extra positions for this workplace? If that’s the case, what number of?
- Lastly, please ship me a replica of the job opening that was posted publicly for the “vice chairman for enrollment administration.”
Penn State responded on Aug. 18:
“As famous in our information launch, the strategic hiring freeze introduced Aug. 1 shouldn’t be an entire freeze on all hiring,” Lisa Powers, senior director of college public relations, mentioned in an e-mail. “Searches to fill crucial roles will nonetheless transfer ahead as Penn State will proceed to rent for positions that help the College in vital methods. As you recognize, College enrollment at Commonwealth Campuses has been stagnant or declined in recent times, which has a damaging impression on the general fiscal well being of Penn State and the communities it serves in fulfilling the College’s instructional mission throughout the state. Amongst its Large Ten counterparts, Penn State is among the few that didn’t have an enrollment administration workplace separate from its undergraduate training workplace. The change to a devoted enrollment administration workplace was needed in order that vital enrollment challenges can obtain the main focus and senior-level help wanted for optimum enrollment.
“With regard to a job posting, President Bendapudi decided that this place was a crucial and needed rent, briefly order, and it’s inside her discretion to make such strategic hires as she deems acceptable with out all the time going by way of a protracted course of. As you are also conscious, the College is addressing a structural deficit and this strategy was considered by her as the easiest way to satisfy the College’s wants on this space.”
Looking for readability on a pair factors, Highlight PA adopted up with these questions on Aug. 23:
- The job for which Mr. Melvin was employed was not posted publicly for others to use for?
- And, since Penn State “didn’t have an enrollment administration workplace separate from its undergraduate training workplace,” does the college plan to rent extra positions for this workplace? If that’s the case, what number of?
Penn State responded on Aug. 24:
“As indicated in my preliminary response, President Bendapudi decided that this place was a crucial and needed rent, briefly order, and it’s inside her discretion to make such strategic hires,” Powers mentioned in an e-mail. “Dr. Melvin has been in his new function for 9 days and determinations on workplace staffing/construction haven’t been made past the truth that the prevailing areas of Undergraduate Admissions, the Workplace of Pupil Support and the Workplace of the College Registrar might be a part of this new strategic endeavor, as already famous.”
Assist help the Penn State Transparency Tracker by submitting suggestions or inquiries to [email protected]. You can even share paperwork and different supplies to assist make our reporting extra sturdy. Learn extra about sharing such data right here.
SUPPORT THIS JOURNALISM and assist us reinvigorate native information in north-central Pennsylvania at spotlightpa.org/statecollege. Highlight PA is funded by foundations and readers such as you who’re dedicated to accountability and public-service journalism that will get outcomes.